We bought a fixer upper. Yikes! Our home was built in 1913 and has been added onto several times since. The main structure is log. Not that you can tell, the only tip off is the depth of the window trim. I figured it out when I was doing a simple dryer vent job. I ended up having to drill a 4 inch hole through solid wood. Good thing I had hole saws and an extension. This house is pretty plain and dull, but it is bursting with potential. It will be a few years before we get to everything we want to do.
The First Project
We start with the living room and the entry way.
The trim is peach and the walls are cream. Not much in the way of contrast! The trim in this historic house is a simple 2 1/4 inch. The windows have no sill and are just boxed around with the same. The baseboard was laid flush to the sub-floor with the carpet butted against it. That leaves hardly any trim exposed. This is in contrast to the original trim upstairs that is 8 inches tall! We don't have the budget to install a truly accurate reproduction of trim like that, and we only have a few weeks to get the downstairs move in ready. We will build custom window sills and install 4 inch trim with a craftsman style fillet on top. We will go back later and add a crown molding on top.
Here is a look at the finished product.
We will be switching out those tired old single-pane windows in a project for another day.
This was our first project that we knocked out super-fast so we could get moved in. We did a skip trowel texture over the smooth wall and painted the living room green. In the next post we will look at the trowel and paint job that we did in the front entry. Until next time... happy renovating!